Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Beautiful Christmas Morning

We hope everyone out there had a terrific Christmas! We loved every minute of ours. We've spent the last several Christmas holidays together at the cabin with lots of family, which is completely wonderful. This year seemed awfully quiet and mellow compared to what we are used to. It is nice both ways.

Here are the things I will remember about this year. In times past I was disappointed when the kids managed to arrive at the Christmas tree and see what Santa brought them before I could be there to see their reactions. So I engineered things differently this year. The kids had a "sleep-over" in the family room downstairs, which they think is really exciting. I put the baby monitor in with them. They talked into it to wake us up in the morning (early!), and then we all arrived together at the tree. I was bleary-eyed, but ready with cam-corder in hand. I liked that. Maybe a new tradition in the making.





Brennan was happy about his cool new firetruck. Notice the chocolate all over his face. While everyone else was enjoying their presents, Brennan quietly raided all their stockings.


A blurry shot - sorry. Shaylie is in little girl dress up Heaven.
Now she's a High School Musical cheerleader. Oh, my.


We woke up to quite a bit of new snow Christmas morning, and I'll always remember Jayden and Makenna spending two hours shoveling and clearing the driveway so they could test- drive their new wheels.




This year I was especially excited to send out Christmas cards and bake, bake, bake! Last year I missed those things because we moved two days before Christmas. (I wouldn't recommend doing that, by the way). The whole month of December was a blur. So this year I had an extra appreciation for all the little things, like reading Christmas books and stories with the kids, eating too much fudge and toffee, and special family home evenings. My favorite was the evening we spent with Grandma and Grandpa Robinson and Grandpa Mawson. Grandma taught a nice lesson and then we all acted out the nativity. That was a first for us. I loved the ice and snow melting off the Baby Jesus during our performance because we'd just brought Him in from Grandpa's nativity scene outside. And my cute little sheppherd carrying a llama. And my angel breaking out in a ballet dance followed by curtsies and applause. Good times...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lacey did the same thing with the chocolate and stockings. I love the idea about the baby monitor. I am sure that was fun to them too...to talk in to you through it. The twins when they were younger would try to talk back and forth and it took awhile for me to explain to them it only goes one way. We did end up get walkie talkies though for them. Anyhow it looks like you guys had a nice Christmas. I love your new family picture. Take Care

Wendy said...

Glad you had a great Christmas. I love the picture of Brennan with the chocolate face. Too cute!

Vicki said...

I love the picture of Brennen! Looks like they're all happy with their big grins. I feel for you moving before Christmas, we moved into our house 9 years ago on Christmas Eve, not fun. Love the new wheels.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa and I loved that Family Home Evening, too! (We still want to see the video!) Jesus is the reason for the season! Children are also a joyous part! We love you all so much!