Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Hug a Tree Day!

The Perfect Tree!!
I'll bet you never guessed we were tree-huggers! On the first Monday night in December we traditionally pick out our Christmas tree. When I was a kid in Nevada we went out and cut one every year. (And yes, Carter, there ARE pine trees in Nevada.) We couldn't imagine buying a boring tree from a tree lot. Times have changed some and I am now happy to buy our tree. My poor kids don't know what they are missing. But it still feels like a big deal and I ceremoniously make treats and hot cocoa for the occasion.



Daddy is in charge of lighting the tree. I oversee decorations. Next to Christmas morning, my favorite part of Christmas is when I carefully unwrap each ornament and hand them to the kids to put on the tree. There are so many stories and memories. I have ornaments made of shells from our time in the Caribbean and each of the kids have an ornament from their first Christmas. Then the kids go to bed and I rearrange the ornaments. hee hee.



4 comments:

Sara said...

I would have never guessed that Carter is a tree hugger, but OK! :)
Nice choice, I miss the smell of a real tree.

Wendy said...

That picture of Carter hugging the tree is hilarious. I love the smell and look of real trees.

Megan said...

does carter hug you like he does that tree? brent and i could not quite laughing!!

Anonymous said...

Tendra, life changes, but it is all good! I sooo remember hiking through the cold and snow looking for the "perfect" tree and sentimentally handing ornaments to precious children to hang on the tree.
Now, Bob takes out the already-lighted fake tree and I put on Christmas music and hot chocolate and decorate the tree myself. (Bob is outside on the roof putting up lights.) The good thing is we can set up the tree earlier and keep it up longer.